Gene Editing Market : Global Share, Size, Growth, Trends & Outlook ( 2022 – 2032 )
Gene Editing Insights:
Gene editing is the process of creating specific changes to the DNA of an organism. The technology includes CRISPR-Cas9, TALEN, ZFN, and others. CRISPR-Cas9 is the most widely used technology and is expected to dominate the market. This will be wiped out in a variety of ways, but the foremost commonly used technique is named CRISPR/Cas9. CRISPR (Clustered Regularly Interspaced Short Palindromic Repeats) is a present defense reaction found in some bacteria that permits them to acknowledge and destroy invading viruses. Cas9 protein acts as a pair of molecular scissors which will cut the DNA at a selected location. Gene editing has the potential to be used for a good range of applications, including treating genetic diseases, creating new crop varieties with desirable traits, and even modifying the DNA of animals to form them more immune to disease or better suited to certain environments.
However, gene editing may be a relatively new technology, and there are still many ethical and safety concerns that require to be addressed. There's also the potential for unintended consequences, like off-target effects or unintended changes to other parts of the genome.
Gene Editing Market Share and Size
The gene editing market may be a rapidly growing field with tons of potential for future growth and innovation. The worldwide gene editing market size was valued at $10.2 billion in 2022 and is predicted to grow at a compound annual rate of growth (CAGR) of 14.6% from 2023 to 2032 to succeed in a worth $40.0 billion by 2032 driven by the expansion of the gene editing market include increasing investment in research and development activities, rising demand for gene therapy and personalized medicine, and therefore the increasing prevalence of genetic disorders and cancer.
The market is additionally expected to be driven by the event of the latest gene editing technologies, like base editing and prime editing, which supply more precise and efficient ways of creating targeted genetic changes.
The key players within the gene editing market include companies like CRISPR Therapeutics, Intellia Therapeutics, Editas Medicine, Sangamo Therapeutics, and Thermo Fisher Scientific. These companies are actively investing in research and development activities and collaborating with academic and research institutions to develop innovative gene editing therapies and technologies.
Gene Editing Market Key Drivers:
The gene editing market has several key drivers that are contributing to its growth and potential for future innovation. Some of the main drivers of the gene editing market include:
- Advancements in gene editing technologies: The event of latest gene editing technologies like CRISPR/Cas9, base editing, and prime editing have made gene editing more precise, efficient, and cost-effective which has opened new possibilities for gene therapy and personalized medicine.
- Growing applications in agriculture and animal breeding: Gene editing is often used to create new crop varieties with desirable traits like disease resistance and improved yield. It also can be wont to modify the DNA of animals to form them more immune to disease or better suited to certain environments.
- Increasing investment in research and development: Governments, academic institutions, and personal companies are investing heavily in research and development activities to develop new gene editing therapies and technologies.
- Increasing prevalence of genetic disorders: The prevalence of genetic disorders like cancer, CF, and sickle cell anemia is increasing globally. Gene editing offers potential treatments for these diseases by targeting and correcting specific genetic mutations.
- Rising demand for gene therapy: Gene therapy involves using gene editing to exchange or repair faulty genes in patients. The demand for gene therapy is increasing because it offers potential cures for previously untreatable genetic diseases.
- Growing specialization in ethical and regulatory considerations: As gene editing technologies become more powerful and widely available, there's growing concern about the moral and regulatory implications of gene editing. Governments and regulatory bodies are developing new guidelines and regulations to make sure that gene editing is employed safely and ethically.
- Increasing collaborations: The number of collaborations between academic institutes, research organizations, and corporations within the field of gene editing is additionally increasing, which is predicted to drive market growth.
Gene Editing Market Key Trend & Development:
The gene editing market is a rapidly evolving field, and several key trends and developments are shaping its growth and potential for future innovation. Some of the major trends and developments in the gene editing market include:
- Advancements in CRISPR-Cas9: Researchers are continually working to enhance the precision and specificity of CRISPR-Cas9, this includes the event of the latest Cas enzymes, improved delivery systems, and therefore the use of the latest guide RNAs to focus on specific genes.
- Advancements in delivery technologies: Advances in delivery technologies, like viral vectors, nanoparticles, and electroporation, are helping to beat this challenge and enable more efficient and effective gene editing.
- Approval of first gene therapy: In 2017, The US FDA approved the primary gene therapy, Luxturna, for the treatment of inherited retinal disease caused by mutations within the RPE65 gene which marked a big milestone for the sector of gene editing and opened the door for the event of more gene therapies.
- Increasing patent filings: The number of patents filed for gene editing technology and applications is increasing, which is resulting in a rise in licensing and partnership opportunities.
- Gene editing for non-human applications: In addition to human gene therapy, there's growing interested in using gene editing for non-human applications like agriculture and animal breeding.
- Development of CAR-T cell therapies: CAR-T cell therapies, which harness the facility of the system to fight cancer, are being developed using gene editing techniques.
Gene Editing Market Segmentation:
The gene editing market can be segmented based on several factors including:
- By application: Human Therapeutics, Agricultural Biotechnology, Industrial Biotechnology
- By technology: CRISPR/Cas9, Zinc Finger Nuclease (ZFN), Transcription Activator-like Effector Nuclease (TALEN)
- By end-user: Biotechnology & Pharmaceutical Companies, Academic & Research Institutions, Contract Research Organizations (CROs)
- By region: North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Rest of the World (RoW)
Gene Editing Market Regional Synopsis:
North America is the biggest commercial center for gene editing, representing the main portion of the overall market thanks to the presence of an outsized number of biotechnology and drug organizations, scholarly establishments, and ideal government financing. Its market value was $3.6 billion in 2022, and it is expected to grow at a CAGR of 17.1% between 2023 and 2032 to reach $17.5 billion by 2032.
Due to rising government funding for research and development, the presence of leading pharmaceutical companies, and advancements in gene editing technology, Europe is the second-largest market for gene editing. The market was worth $1.9 billion in 2022 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 16.5% between 2023 and 2032 to reach an estimated value of $8.8 billion by 2032.
The Asia-Pacific region is anticipated experience the highest rate of growth. This is because of the expanding patient pool, rising government funding, and the increasing use of gene editing technologies in research activities. Its market size was $1.6 billion in 2022, and it is expected to grow at a CAGR of 19.6% between 2023 and 2032 to reach $9.6 billion in value by 2032.
The Middle East & Africa, and Latin America make up the region of the Rest of the World. Due to increasing public awareness of gene editing technologies and government initiatives, it is anticipated that the region will experience significant growth. The market was worth $0.7 billion in 2022, and it is expected to grow at a CAGR of 18.3% between 2023 and 2032 to reach a value of $3.8 billion by 2032.
Japan Gene Editing Market
The gene editing market in Japan is growing, driven by the increasing demand for gene therapy and advancements in gene editing technology. Japan features a well-established healthcare system, and therefore the government is actively promoting research and development activities within the gene editing field. The market was worth $457.8 million in 2022, and it's expected to grow at a CAGR of 18.3% between 2023 and 2032 to succeed in a worth of $2.4 billion by 2032.
CRISPR/Cas9 technology is the most generally used technology in Japan, and several other companies are actively involved in developing gene therapies supported by this technology. Additionally, the rising demand for personalized medicine and therefore the growing specialization in precision medicine also are driving the expansion of the gene editing market in Japan.
Some of the key players operating within the Japan gene editing market include Takara Bio, Inc., Nippon Gene Co., Ltd., Sysmex Corporation, and EditForce Inc. These companies are actively involved in developing new gene editing technologies and products and are collaborating with academic institutions and research organizations to advance their research efforts within the field of gene editing.
Gene Editing Market Key Challenges:
Despite the tremendous potential of gene editing, the market faces several challenges that could hinder its growth in the coming years. Some of the key challenges facing the gene editing market include:
- Ethical concerns: Gene editing has raised ethical concerns, particularly against the potential misuse of the technology and its impact on future generations. the moral considerations around gene editing require careful consideration and dialogue to make sure that the technology is employed responsibly and safely.
- High cost: Gene editing technologies are often expensive, and therefore the development of gene editing therapies is often time-consuming and dear. this will limit the supply of gene editing therapies, particularly in developing countries or regions with limited healthcare resources.
- Intellectual property issues: There are ongoing patent disputes within the gene editing market, which could hamper the event of the latest gene editing technologies and limit the supply of gene editing products.
- Off-target effects: Gene editing techniques can sometimes end in unintended changes to the genome, referred to as off-target effects. this will potentially cause unintended consequences and risks related to gene editing, which must be addressed to make sure the security and efficacy of gene editing therapies.
- Regulatory challenges: The regulatory environment for gene editing is complex and may vary significantly across different countries and regions. the shortage of a uniform regulatory framework can create uncertainty for companies developing gene editing products and hamper the approval process.
Gene Editing Market Key Global Players:
The gene editing market is highly competitive, with several global players operating in the market. Some of the key global players in the gene editing market include:
- Agilent Technologies, Inc.
- Cellectis S.A.
- CRISPR Therapeutics AG
- Editas Medicine, Inc.
- Eurofins Scientific SE
- Genewiz, Inc.
- GenScript Biotech Corporation
- Horizon Discovery Group plc
- Inscripta, Inc.
- Integrated DNA Technologies, Inc.
- Intellia Therapeutics, Inc.
- Lonza Group AG
- Merck KGaA
- New England Biolabs, Inc.
- OriGene Technologies, Inc.
- Precision BioSciences, Inc.
- Sangamo Therapeutics, Inc.
- Synthego Corporation
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
- Transposagen Biopharmaceuticals, Inc.
These companies are actively involved in the development and commercialization of gene editing technologies, tools, software, and therapies and are expected to continue to play a significant role in the growth of the gene editing market in the coming years. These companies are at the forefront of gene editing research and are actively involved in the development and commercialization of gene editing products and services.