Swab and Viral Transport Medium Market: Global Size, Share, Trends, Growth and Forecast, 2022-2032
The Swab and Viral Transport Medium is a collection and transport system used for the long-term freezing, transport, collection of clinical specimens containing viruses such as mycoplasma, Covid-19, chlamydia urea plasma organisms and others Also, the swab and viral transport is lightly rubbed against the vesicles or skin to collect sample and these sample are later sent to laboratories in transport medium.
Swabs collected and transported dry or in saline are compared to commercially available swab/medium combinations for PCR detection of influenza, enterovirus, herpes simplex virus, and adenovirus.
Evidently, the success of the SARS-CoV-2 detection and diagnosis is largely dependent on the quality of the patient sample specimen and the conditions under which it is transported to the clinic or testing labs for processing.
The swabs and viral transport medium (VTM) market is continuously expanding around the globe. The global swab and viral transport medium market is projected to expand at a comprehensive CAGR in the next few years.
The growth of this market is attributed towards major relying factors including the adoption of swab viral transport medium owing to the increased demand for diagnostics testing services, rising occurrences of SARS Covid19 worldwide, increase in demand for swabs & viral transport medium due to COVID-19 pandemic, rise in use of viral transport medium in microbiology & diagnostic laboratories, increase in the geriatric population, rise in adoption of diagnostic tests, growth of the diagnostics industry and high investment in diagnostic equipment, kits, and accessories and others.
Moreover, 3 dimensional (3D) printers are being used to produce cost-efficient nasopharyngeal swabs.
FDA also announced that it would let even swabs made from polyester to be used for diagnoses. The basic objective would be faster manufacturing and pocket-friendliness.
Additionally, viruses such as influenza and covid-19 require deep nasal swabs and nasopharyngeal swabs; herpes simplex requires vaginal swabs while the other infections require swab collection from different parts of the body.
Companies in this market are innovating in kits containing vials, double-ended flocked swabs, antibiotics, and other items that inhibit bacterial or fungal contamination. Also, research institutes and labs have enhanced their experiments for developing COVID-19 vaccines, and hence, companies in the swab and VTM market have increased their production capacities to develop products useful for viral collection, maintenance, and culture.
Currently, governments all over the world are emphasizing on eradicating the spread of infectious diseases that have the potential of becoming pandemics. As a result, there have been concerted effort sto take constructive and preventive measures against Rhinovirus, Adenovirus, influenza, and now COVID-19.
Though, the supply is stalled and is unable to cope up with the demands of and swabs and Viral Transport Medium, this demand surge has only led to the increased production capacities for developing products in the field of viral collection and transport and instead of settling for a decline in VTM market, several countries are gearing themselves up for creating incremental opportunities in companies working on producing swabs and VTM kits by the end of 2020.
However, issue related with false negatives and reinfection, clinical as well as technical issues related to swabs collection will hamper the growth of this market.
SWAB AND VIRAL TRANSPORT MEDIUM MARKET SEGMENTATION:
By Product Type:
- Viral Transport Medium
Tissue Culture Medium
Glycerol Transport Medium
- Virus Swabs
Deep Nasal Swabs
Combined Nasal & Throat Swabs
- Respiratory syncytial virus
- Mumps Virus
- Herpes Simplex Virus
- Varicella-Zoster Virus
- Other Indication
By End User:
- Diagnostic Laboratories
- Hospitals & ASCs
- Specialty Clinics
North America dominates the viral transport media market owing to the presence of prominent players, rapid increase in number of diagnostic tests for COVID-19, growth strategies adopted by the players, rise in awareness about the benefits of prevention of diseases and increase in the healthcare expenditure in the region.
Asia Pacific held the second-largest share of the global swab and VTM market in 2019 and is expected to grow at the highest growth rate. This can be attributed to the rise in prevalence of infectious diseases, rising demand of sample collection kits in the region, rise in awareness leading to routine check-up and diagnosis etc.
Lastly, steady growth can be witnessed in Europe and Latin America as the number of Covid-19 cases is rising and along with few key players, the local players are also scaling up in terms of production.
FEW KEY PLAYERS IN SWAB AND VIRAL TRANSPORT MEDIUM MARKET:
- Medical Wire & Equipment (MWE)
- Puritan Medical Products
- Starplex Scientific, Inc.
- Becton, Dickinson and Company (BD)
- Puritan Medical Products
- Yocon Biology
- Trinity Biotech
- McKesson Corporation
- Cardinal Health Inc.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- Quidel Corporation
- COPAN Diagnostics Inc.
- VIRCELL S.L.
- Titan Biotech Ltd.
- Other Players
- In May 2020, Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (SCTIMST), an autonomous institute under the Department of Science and Technology, Govt of India, developed two types of nasal and oral swabs and viral transport medium for COVID-19 testing: Chitra EmBed flocked nylon swabs, and Chitra EnMesh, polymeric foam-tipped, lint-free swabs with flexible plastic handles.
- In August 2020, Singapore based LABMED continued to play an increasingly crucial role in the supply of medical masks and medical personal protective equipment (PPE) globally by providing medical masks and shipping 38 million VTM (Virus Transport Medium) kits worldwide.
- In October 2020, Researchers at the National Biopreparations Center (BioCen) developed Cuba’s first secure medium to transport viruses, created for use in the collection and transfer of patients' nasopharyngeal and oropharyngeal samples for the diagnosis of SARS-COV-2, the COVID-19 causal agent.
Timeline Considered for Analysis:
- 2019: Base Year
- 2020: Estimated Year
- 2020 to 2025: Forecast Period
Research Scope and Deliverables
Overview & Executive Summary
Market Drivers, Trends, Challenges and Opportunities
Market Size and Forecast Projections
Macroeconomic Indicators of Various Countries Impacting the Growth of the Market
Extensive Coverage of Industry Players including Recent Product Launches and Market Activities
Porter’s Five Force Analysis
Market Segmentation Analysis:
Industry report analyses the global swab and viral transport medium market by the following segments:
- Product Type
- End User
Customization: We also offer customization’s in the industry report as per the company’s specific needs.
Key Questions Answered in the Global Swab and Viral Transport Medium Industry Report
- What is the overall market size in 2019? What will be the market growth during the forecast period i.e. 2020-2025?
- Which region would have high demand for product in the upcoming years?
- What are the factors driving the growth of the market?
- Which sub-market will make the most significant contribution to the market?
- What are the market opportunities for existing and entry-level players?
- What are various long-term and short-term strategies adopted by the market players?