Stomach Cancer Treatment Market : Global Share, Size, Growth, Trends & Outlook ( 2022 – 2032 )
Stomach Cancer Treatment Market Key Findings:
- The global stomach cancer treatment market was valued at $1.9 billion in 2021 and is expected to expand at a CAGR of 6.8%.
- The rising prevalence of stomach cancer and the rising use of targeted immunotherapies are anticipated to fuel market expansion.
- Due to the high frequency of stomach cancer and the rising use of surgical therapies, the surgical sector is anticipated to rule the market throughout the projection period.
- Due to the rising prevalence of stomach cancer and the presence of several market participants in the area, North America is anticipated to account for the highest share of the market. Because stomach cancer is becoming more common and targeted treatments and immunotherapies are being more widely used, the Asia Pacific area is anticipated to see the fastest rise throughout the projection period.
- Key players operating in the stomach cancer treatment market include Roche, AstraZeneca, Novartis, Pfizer, Merck, and others.
- The main obstacles to the market's expansion are the high cost of therapies, the dearth of early diagnostic tools, and the sparse availability of treatment choices.
Stomach Cancer Treatment Market Insights:
Stomach Cancer Understanding and Treatment Algorithm
Also known as gastric cancer, stomach cancer is a type of cancer that starts in the lining of the stomach. This type of cancer is one of the most common causes of cancer-related death worldwide, despite its rarity. A biopsy and imaging tests (such as an upper endoscopy or CT scan) are typically used to make a stomach cancer diagnosis. Understanding stomach cancer and developing treatment algorithms start here. The stage of cancer, or how far along it is after being diagnosed, is determined by additional tests.
The types of treatments available will depend on the stage of stomach cancer. Chemotherapy, surgery, and radiation therapy are the most common treatments. In the early stages of stomach cancer, surgery may be the only option; Chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and surgery may be utilized for advanced stomach cancer. New targeted treatments, like drugs that target specific proteins or genetic abnormalities, have been discovered in recent years. New immunotherapies, which help fight cancer by strengthening the immune system, are among these medicines. Depending on the particular circumstances of each patient, these treatments may be used in addition to or in place of standard treatments for stomach cancer.
Stomach Cancer Treatment Market : Report Scope
Base Year Market Size
Forecast Year Market Size
Stomach Cancer emerging drugs
Several emerging drugs for the treatment of stomach cancer are currently being developed or are in late-stage clinical trials. These drugs include:
- Pembrolizumab (Keytruda): For the treatment of stomach cancer, Pembrolizumab is undergoing clinical trials and has demonstrated promising outcomes in patients with advance-stages disease. It is an immunotherapy drug that works by boosting the immune system.
- Lenvatinib (Lenvima): Lenvatinib is undergoing clinical studies for the treatment of stomach cancer, and early-stage patients who received the drug have shown encouraging outcomes. This medicine is used in targeted treatment, which slows the development of cancer cells.
- TAK-659: The KRAS gene, which is frequently mutated in stomach cancer, is the target of a new drug. Preclinical research has been encouraging for TAK-659, which is currently undergoing clinical trials.
- MEDI3039: This ADC, which targets the HER2 protein, which is overexpressed in some forms of stomach cancer, works by binding to the HER2 gene. Clinical studies for MEDI3039 are ongoing in phase 1.
- IMM-101: The goal of this cancer vaccine is to treat stomach cancer. IMM-101 is now undergoing phase 2 clinical trials and early-stage investigations have produced encouraging findings.
Stomach Cancer Treatment Market
A variety of pharmacological and medical device treatments, such as surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy, are available for treating stomach cancer. Future therapy options may rely more heavily on newly developed targeted medicines and immunotherapies. In 2021, the market for treating stomach cancer was estimated to be worth $1.9 billion, and it is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 6.8% from 2022 to 2032. Unfortunately, the poor prognosis of advanced-stage illness, a paucity of early detection techniques, and constrained therapy choices make stomach cancer treatment difficult
Stomach Cancer Treatment Market Driving Factors:
Several factors are driving the growth of the stomach cancer treatment market:
- Increasing incidence of stomach cancer: Treatments for stomach cancer are in high demand as a result of the worldwide rise in the incidence of the disease.
- Advances in treatment options: The market is expanding because new immunotherapies and targeted therapies are being developed to treat stomach cancer. Patients with stomach cancer should have a better chance of survival thanks to these treatments, which have demonstrated promising results in clinical trials.
- Increasing adoption of surgical treatments: The market is anticipated to expand due to the widespread use of surgical treatments for stomach cancer.
- Growing geriatric population: The number of older people around the world is growing, and older people are more likely to get stomach cancer. The demand for treatments for stomach cancer is being driven by this.
- Increase in healthcare expenditure: The stomach cancer treatment market is anticipated to expand as a result of rising healthcare costs in the world. Investment in research and the creation of novel stomach cancer therapies is being fueled by rising healthcare costs for both public and private entities.
- Increase in awareness: Market expansion is anticipated to be fueled by rising stomach cancer awareness and the availability of novel therapies. The need for therapies for stomach cancer is being driven by rising illness awareness and the presence of efficient cures.
- Increase in R&D investments: The market for treatments for stomach cancer is anticipated to rise as a result of pharmaceutical and biotech businesses investing more money in research and development.
- Technological advancements: Technology developments like endoscopy and laparoscopy have enhanced the detection and management of stomach cancer, increasing demand for these treatments.
Stomach Cancer Treatment Market Segmentation:
The stomach cancer treatment market can be segmented based on treatment type, end user, drug class, distribution channel, stage of cancer, and region:
By Treatment Type
- Radiation therapy
- Targeted therapy
By End-user Type
- Cancer research centers
By Drug Class Type
- Targeted therapy
By Distribution Channel Type
- Hospital Pharmacy
- Retail Pharmacy
- Online Pharmacy
By Stage of Cancer Type
- Early stage
- Advanced stage
By Region Type
- North America
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
Stomach Cancer Treatment Market by Treatment Type review:
Chemotherapy, which uses medications to destroy cancer cells, is the most widely used treatment for stomach cancer. Another typical method of treating stomach cancer is surgery, which entails the removal of the stomach's malignant tumor. High-energy radiation is used in radiation treatment to destroy cancer cells, while medications are used in targeted therapy and immunotherapy to increase the body's ability to fight cancer. After surgery and radiation therapy in order of revenue share comes the chemotherapy section. Throughout the projection period, the targeted treatment sector is anticipated to increase at the greatest CAGR.
Stomach Cancer Treatment by End-user Type review:
The key end-users for stomach cancer therapy are hospitals since they provide a wide range of amenities and services for patients receiving care. Although they offer specialized care and knowledge in the treatment of cancer, specialty clinics are also significant end-user of stomach cancer therapy. The hospital sector dominated the stomach cancer treatment market in 2021 and is anticipated to hold this position throughout the forecast period. The hospital sector is predicted to expand at a CAGR of 5.6% between 2022 and 2032. A CAGR of 6.8% is predicted for specialty clinic growth throughout the projection period. This surge is linked to the rise of specialty clinics providing cutting-edge therapies and technology for the treatment of stomach cancer. The research and ambulatory surgery centres are two other end-users in the stomach cancer treatment industry which is expected to grow at a moderate rate.
Stomach Cancer Treatment by Drug Class Type review:
The most often prescribed medications for treating stomach cancer are chemotherapeutic medicines, which function by destroying rapidly dividing cancer cells. With a market size of $2.7 billion in 2021, it is anticipated that between 2022 and 2032, it will expand at a CAGR of 5%. Targeted treatments function by focusing on particular chemicals or processes involved in the development and dissemination of cancer cells. Targeted therapy sales are anticipated to expand at a faster pace than those of chemotherapy medications, with a CAGR of 7.2% from 2022 to 2032 and a market value of $1.8 billion in 2021. With a CAGR of 11.3% from 2022 to 2032 and a market size of $0.3 billion in 2021, immunotherapies - a relatively new class of medications - work by boosting the body's immune system to combat cancer cells. Additional medication types used in the treatment of stomach cancer include surgery and radiation therapy, which removes the diseased tumor from the stomach and employs high-energy radiation to destroy cancer cells.
Stomach Cancer Treatment by Distribution Channel Type review:
Due to their responsibility for providing pharmaceuticals to patients receiving treatment in hospitals, hospital pharmacists serve as the main distribution channel for stomach cancer treatments. With a market size of $2.8 billion in 2020, it is anticipated to increase at a CAGR of 5.4% from 2021 to 2028. Another significant distribution route for the treatment of stomach cancer is retail pharmacies, which are anticipated to increase faster than hospital pharmacies between 2021 and 2028 with a CAGR of 6.3%. In 2020, the market for retail pharmacies was worth $1.9 billion. With a CAGR of 9.8% from 2021 to 2028 and a market value of $0.4 billion in 2020, online pharmacies are also becoming a significant distribution channel and are anticipated to expand quickly.
Stomach Cancer Treatment by Stage of Cancer Type review:
Due to the growing emphasis on early detection and diagnosis of stomach cancer and the availability of more targeted and effective treatment options for early-stage disease, the market for early-stage stomach cancer treatment, which holds the largest market share, is anticipated to grow at a rate that is higher than that of advanced-stage stomach cancer treatment, growing at a CAGR of 7.6% from 2021 to 2028, with a market size of $3.4 billion in 2020. From 2021 to 2028, the market for advanced-stage stomach cancer treatment is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 4.6%, reaching $2.3 billion in 2020.
Stomach Cancer Treatment by Region Type review:
The stomach cancer treatment market is expected to be dominated by the Asia-Pacific region from 2021 to 2031, with a 38.7% market share in 2020 and a CAGR of 5.5 percent. This is because of the rising availability of cutting-edge treatment options and the high prevalence of stomach cancer in nations like China, Japan, and South Korea. Europe and North America are expected to expand as well, albeit at a slower pace than the Asia-Pacific region. In 2020, the North American market was expected to grow at a CAGR of 4.2%, while the European market was expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.8%. The North American market held a market share of 31.9% in 2020. During the forecast period, the stomach cancer treatment market is anticipated to expand in additional regions, including Africa, Latin America, and the Middle East.
Stomach Cancer Treatment Challenges
There are several challenges facing the Stomach Cancer Treatment market.
- Adverse effects and limited efficacy of treatment: Treatments for stomach cancer can have serious side effects, like nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and hair loss, which can make life less enjoyable. A major obstacle for the market is the limited efficacy of stomach cancer treatments, particularly in advanced stages.
- High cost of treatment: The cost of treating stomach cancer can be high, and many patients might not have access to quality medical care or insurance. The high cost of stomach cancer treatments, especially for novel targeted medicines and immunotherapies, is a significant commercial problem.
- Lack of awareness: A major obstacle for the market is that people, particularly in developing nations, are unaware of stomach cancer and its symptoms.
- Lack of early detection methods: The efficiency of available treatment options is presently limited by the lack of a good early diagnosis tool for stomach cancer. Due to this, it may be challenging to detect the illness at an early stage when it is more manageable.
- Limited access to healthcare: In many parts of the world, particularly in low-income nations, healthcare access is a major issue, making stomach cancer treatment options scarce.
- Limited treatment options: Limited treatment options for stomach cancer, particularly for advanced-stage disease, with significant side effects, is a major challenge for the market. Stomach cancer cells can also develop resistance to chemotherapy, making treatment less effective.
- Stringent regulatory environment: A major obstacle for the market is the stringent regulatory environment for the approval of new stomach cancer treatments.
Stomach Cancer Industry Developments
The market for treatments for stomach cancer has seen several recent developments. The following are some significant industry developments:
- Approval of new drugs: Ramucirumab (Cyramza), which the US FDA authorized in 2014, and IMM-101 (a cancer vaccine), which the FDA approved in 2020, are only two of the novel medications for the treatment of stomach cancer that has recently received FDA approval.
- Clinical trials: Late-stage clinical studies for several novel medications, including pembrolizumab (Keytruda), lenvatinib (Lenvima), and TAK-659, are being conducted for the treatment of stomach cancer.
- Collaborations and partnerships: To discover novel medications for the treatment of stomach cancer, pharmaceutical, and biotech businesses are working and forging alliances. AstraZeneca and Merck, for instance, declared a partnership in 2020 to create and market a KRAS G12C inhibitor for the treatment of stomach cancer.
- Investment in R&D: Pharmaceutical and biotech businesses are boosting their spending on research and development to create new medicines to treat stomach cancer.
- Increase in awareness: Thanks to efforts and activities by both public and private groups, more people are aware of stomach cancer and its symptoms.
- Personalized Medicine: The medical field is heading towards customized medicine, where the patient's unique genetic composition is taken into account while formulating a treatment plan.
- Telemedicine: Telemedicine has grown since the COVID-19 pandemic, and it is anticipated that it will continue to expand in the next years, making it simpler for people to get medical treatment.
Stomach Cancer Treatment Market Key Players
There are several key players in the stomach cancer treatment market, including:
- AstraZeneca: Lynparza (olaparib), Tagrisso (osimertinib), and Imfinzi (durvalumab) are just three of AstraZeneca's stomach cancer treatments making the company a major player in the market.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb: Bristol-Myers Squibb is a major player in the market, with a strong portfolio of drugs for the treatment of stomach cancer, including Opdivo (nivolumab) and Yervoy (ipilimumab).
- Eli Lilly: Cyramza (ramucirumab) and Erbitux (cetuximab) are two of Eli Lilly's many stomach cancer treatments.
- Merck: Keytruda, which is pembrolizumab, and Lenvima, which is lenvatinib, are two of Merck's stomach cancer treatments.
- Novartis: Novartis is a major player in the market, with a strong portfolio of drugs for the treatment of stomach cancer, including Afinitor (everolimus) and Mekinist (trametinib).
- Pfizer: With a wide range of medications for the treatment of stomach cancer, including Xalkori (crizotinib) and Inlyta, Pfizer is a significant competitor in the market (axitinib).
- Roche: With a robust portfolio of medications for the treatment of stomach cancer, including Xeloda (capecitabine) and Avastin (bevacizumab), making Roche a market leader.