Primary Cells Market: Global Size, Share, Trends, Growth and Forecast 2022-2032
Cells are primarily the building blocks of all living organisms. The technique which is used to study the performance of these cells independently of the whole living entity is known as cell culture. The culture cells from an animal or plant are taken and grown under favorable and artificially controlled conditions. The three types of cell culture procedures include —primary cell culture, secondary cell culture, and cell line.
Out of these, the primary cells are mature cells that are directly obtained from living tissues or organs via the enzymatic or mechanical method and are established for growth in a vitro. Primary cells obtained from different species such as humans and animals are used to find out potential differences between preclinical test in animals and humans. These primary cells are known to closely mimic the physiological state of the in-vivo cells.
Primary cells retain their fundamental cellular functions and are accordingly used for academic and research purposes by biotechnological and pharmaceutical institutes. For example; Human primary cells are used to determine the accuracy of drug doses on the basis of data obtained from animal models.
The global primary cells market is extensively expanding and is also projected to witness growth at a massive CAGR in the following years.
The growth of this market is attributed towards major relying factors which include but are not limited to; the rapid growth in biotechnology and biopharmaceutical industries, the rising prevalence of cancer worldwide, rise in growth of cancer research, increasing preference of primary cells in research and development to develop new drugs, advancing biomedical research using primary cells in 3D cultures, rising demand for monoclonal antibodies and rising healthcare expenditure, rising investments in regenerative medicine researches, increased pharmaceutical outsourcing, partnerships, collaborations, and acquisitions and rapid expansion witnessed across various industries and players.
Also, primary cells help in understanding the biochemical pathways of cellular interactions and also have advantages over in vitro cell lines. Additionally, primary human cells help decrease spending on animal models required for in vivo studies and are cost-effective. Pre-screened primary cells help to study in vivo signaling very closely. Due to this, biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies as well as CROs are increasingly shifting toward primary human cells for their drug discovery processes.
More importantly, in cancer research, these cells are ideal models for cancer drug screening and biomarker discovery. The Cancer Research UK reported in 2018 that in the same year, the new cases of cancer were reported to be around 17 million across the world. The increasing number of populations suffering from cancer increases the demand for new research activities to develop new drugs, which ultimately increases the demand for primary cell culture and like products.
Furthermore, more and more established pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical companies, as well as small startups, are coming forward to develop treatments and vaccines that target the infection caused by the novel coronavirus. According to reports, there are currently more than 70 vaccine candidates under development. The economic and social burden of the pandemic has prompted government bodies globally to increase support for vaccine development, which has led to an increase in the overall adoption rates of primary cells for COVID-19 research and related purposes.
However, the high pricing of advanced primary cells along with increasing concerns relating to the risk of contamination from these cells contribute to the hindering of the growth of this market.
PRIMARY CELLS MARKET SEGMENTATION:
- Hematopoietic Cells
- Skin Cells
- Gastrointestinal Cells
- Liver Cells
- Lung Cells
- Skeletal and Muscle Cells
- Human Primary Cells
- Animal Primary Cells
By End User:
- Life Science Research Companies
- Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Companies
- Research Institutes
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
The North American region has been dominating this market and is expected to be the largest market in the next few years owing to the presence of a well-established healthcare system, the increasing number of key players in the region, the expansion of pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries, growing focus and government funding on R&D, increasing prevalence of cancer in the region and the increasing technological advancements.
The European region is the second largest regional market in the primary cells market. Factors such as increased spending on research and development, presence of favorable government initiatives & laws, growing prevalence of lifestyle-associated conditions, and the presence of developed economies with key players contribute to drive growth in this region. The major contributors in the region include the Germany, the UK, Italy, Spain and France.
The Asia-Pacific region is projected to exhibit the fastest growth in this market in the next 5-6 years at minimum. This can be attributed to some major factors including the rise in health care awareness, the growing per capita health spending, rising geriatric population base, the increasing demand for advanced medical technology and the developing healthcare sector in countries such as China, Japan, India, and Australia.
The Middle Eastern and African region currently holds the least market share because of their limited access to treatment facilities, but is expected to witness substantial growth as a result of the increasing investments by healthcare companies in countries such as Saudi Arabia and the launch of new products in the region by major players.
FEW KEY PLAYERS IN PRIMARY CELLS MARKET:
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- Cell Biologics Inc.
- HemaCare Corporation
- ZenBio Inc.
- STEMCELL Technologies Inc.
- Corning Incorporated
- American Type Culture Collection
- Axol Bioscience Ltd.
- iXCells Biotechnologies
- ScienCell Research Laboratories Inc.
- PPA Research Group Inc.
- Creative Bioarray
- BPS Bioscience Inc.
- Sekisui XenoTech
- Biopredic International
- Lonza Group
- ReachBio Research Labs
- Charles River Laboratories
- Creative Bioarray
- Cure Line
- Sigma-Aldrich Co.
- Other Players
- In November 2020, Lonza Group announced Broad Selection of High-Resolution Human Leukocyte Antigen-typed Primary Cell Lots to Support Biologic Drug Research.Their range of high-resolution HLA-typed primary cells spans nearly 50 cell types across all major tissues. Ready-typed lots remove the need for cumbersome in-house HLA typing and provide immuno-oncology researchers with the critical tools needed to develop novel drugs rapidly and effectively.
- In November 2020, TRACON Pharmaceuticals, a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of novel targeted cancer therapeutics and utilizing a cost efficient, CRO-independent product development platform to partner with ex-U.S. companies to develop and commercialize innovative products in the U.S., announced the publication of clinical data that provides molecular insight into TRC102’s mechanism of action and patient populations most likely to respond to treatment.
Timeline Considered for Analysis:
- 2019: Base Year
- 2020 to 2025: Forecast Period
Research Scope and Deliverables
Overview & Executive Summary
Market Drivers, Trends, Challenges and Opportunities
Market Size and Forecast Projections
Macroeconomic Indicators of Various Countries Impacting the Growth of the Market
Extensive Coverage of Industry Players including Recent Product Launches and Market Activities
Porter’s Five Force Analysis
Market Segmentation Analysis:
Industry report analyzes the global primary cells market by the following segments:
- End User
Customization: We also offers customization’s in the industry report as per the company’s specific needs.
Key Questions Answered in the Global Primary Cells Industry Report
- What is the overall market size in 2019? What will be the market growth during the forecast period i.e. 2020-2025?
- Which region would have high demand for product in the upcoming years?
- What are the factors driving the growth of the market?
- Which sub-market will make the most significant contribution to the market?
- What are the market opportunities for existing and entry-level players?
- What are various long-term and short-term strategies adopted by the market players?