MMORPG Games Market: Global Share, Size, Growth, Trends & Outlook ( 2023 – 2032 )
MMORPG Games Market Insights
The massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) refers to a game that involves a large number of players interacting with each other while playing the game virtually. This MMORPG offers several new features for complex gaming with social connections to be made inside the game. World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XIV, and The Elder Scrolls Online are the most popular exams of these games.
MMORPG Games Market Size
The market size for MMORPG Games Market was USD 13,665.5 Million in the year 2022. It is expected that the market size for MMORPG Games will increase by approximately USD 34,176.8 Million by 2032 as the market for MMORPG Games is continuously growing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.6% during the forecast period 2023-2032. MMORPG market is a rapidly growing lucrative market in the industry. The increase in the use of mobile phones and rapidly increasing demand for online games is leading the MMORPG market to grow at a high speed.
There is a new trend in the MMORPG market, which is increasing the use of free-to-play business models. The new services which follow are the players are enabled to download the game for free and can continue to play as long as they want. Adding to this, the players now can purchase various in-game items. This is improving their gaming experience and also proves to be a successful technique used for increasing the demand in the market. This is because now players can freely play the game before purchasing any item without any disturbance. It also provides good revenues to the companies in this market as well as the game developers.
The growth of the market depends on several factors, including the rise of professional gaming, the popularity of online gaming as a concept, and the availability of several payment services in the online gaming industry.
Overall, the market is evolving and introducing new games to attract more and more users. The market is also dynamic as it continuously gives new updates for the gaming feature to improve and perform well.
MMORPG Games Market Key Drivers
There are various factors which help in the growth of the MMORPG Games Market. They are as follows:
- Increasing popularity of online gaming: There has been a rapid increase in the growth of people using internet facilities on mobile phones. The more and more people gain access to the internet, the more it grows the demand for online games. Online games become popular which leads to the high growth of the MMORPG market.
- The proliferation of mobile devices: The market growth has been driven by the widespread adoption of mobile phones all over the world. This is because it becomes very easy for people to play the games whenever and wherever they want.
- Free-to-play business model: The free-to-play business model has gained success to increase the market demand. The model offers the player to free download the game and then, can purchase several items inside the game. It makes their gaming experience better and attracts them more towards it. This model has benefitted both the players and the developers to show more interest in gaming. This makes the game economical for the player and enables the developer to gain more revenue as the game becomes more popular.
- Social features: The socializing feature provided by the newly developed games attracts the user more towards it. This allows players from all around the world to interact and play together. Chat, forums, and in-game events are examples of the features introduced in these games.
- Complex gameplay: The games are now developed with more complexity so that the player is engaged in the game with full attention. This feature makes the player come back to the game more easily so that he can move forward. Quests, challenges, and customization options are available in the game for the players to show more and more interest in gaming.
- Constant updates and new content: New updates and content are constantly being introduced to make the player more engaged in gaming. New areas, new characters, and new gameplay features are some examples of these updates.
MMORPG Games Market Challenges
There are many challenges which are faced by MMORPG Games Market. They are listed below:
- Competition: Competition is a major challenge in this market. The market is highly competitive which it is very problematic for the new game to enter into the market. Every game needs attention and time from the user to hold its important place in the market.
- High development costs: There is a high development cost that has to be incurred by the developer to introduce a new game in the market. It takes a lot of time and effort for a developer with creativity to develop a game with high-quality graphics and new features.
- Players' time: It takes a lot of time for the players to devote themselves to the game. This plays a negative impact on the market as most of the users either do not want to devote their time or do not have enough time to consume in gaming.
- Player retention: It needs a lot of time, effort, and full concentration of the player to invest in the game. Sometimes, the player gets irritated due to which he resists coming back to the game to continue.
- Payment issues: Some players do not want to spend money on gaming because it seems to get a waste for them. They are hesitant to purchase the in-game features and may leave the game then and there. There are regions where there is very minimal use of internet transactions which may act as a barrier for the gaming market.
- Cheating: Some players get frustrated due to the other player using cheating techniques to win. Because of this frustration, they leave the game and do not come back again.
MMORPG Games Market Report Scope
USD 13665.5 Million
USD 34176.8 Million
9.6% from 2023 to 2032
MMORPG Games Market Regional Synopsis
- Asia-Pacific: The Asia-Pacific market is the most significant market for MMORPG Games. It has the largest market share among all the other markets. China is the largest market in this region and is expected to grow rapidly in the upcoming years. China is also considered to be the highest revenue-generating country. Besides this, India is also having moderate growth in the gaming market in recent years.
- North America: There are a large number of key players in the North American market. The United States and Canada are considered to be the major markets in this region.
- Europe: The European market has several popular games. It is also considered a market that has a dedicated player base. The United Kingdom, Germany, France, and many more countries are observed to be significant markets in the region.
- Latin America: Latin America is a growing economy with more and more people gaining access to the Internet. It is expected that the market will grow rapidly in the upcoming years. This region is considered to be the fastest-growing region among all others. Brazil is observed as the most growing market in the region due to its growing demand for mobile phones. Brazil's market is growing rapidly due to one more factor, which is urbanization. It has been seen in the studies that the Brazilian population is made up of the maximum of the youth population all over the world. This has a major role in the growing demand for gaming in the country.
- Other Regions: The other regions, such as the Middle East, Africa, and Oceania are also having MMORPG games introduced in their markets.
MMORPG Games Market Segmentation
The MMORPG Games Market is segmented into various categories which are listed below:
- By Platform
- By Business Model
- By Genre
- Science Fiction
- By Theme
- By Age
- Young Players
- By Gender
- By Geography
- North America (U.S., and Canada)
- Europe (U.K., Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Russia, NORDIC, Rest of Europe)
- Asia-Pacific (Japan, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Australia, Rest of Asia-Pacific)
- Latin America (Mexico, Argentina, Rest of Latin America)
- Middle East and Africa (Israel, GCC North Africa, South Africa, Rest of the Middle East and Africa)
MMORPG Games Market Key Players
- Activision Blizzard
- Electronic Arts
- Square Enix
- Ankama Games
- The Walt Disney