Glycomics & Glycobiology Market : Global Share, Size, Growth, Trends & Outlook ( 2023 – 2032 )
Healthcare & PharmaceuticalRequest PDF Sample Request Discount
- Status : Published
- Published on: Feb 2023
- Report ID: KDMI-7202
- Available Format: PDF/Excel/DOC
Pandemic disrupted the entire world and affected many industries.
Get detailed COVID-19 impact analysis on the Glycomics & Glycobiology MarketRequest PDF Sample
Glycomics & Glycobiology Insights:
Glycomics and Glycobiology are two closely related fields of study that specialize in the study of carbohydrates and their roles in various biological systems.
Glycomics is the study of all the complex carbohydrates, or glycans, present in an organism involving the identification, characterization, and quantification of glycans and their interactions with other molecules within the body, like proteins and lipids. They're also involved in the study of the biosynthesis and catabolism of glycans, also as their roles in various biological processes, including cell adhesion, cell signaling, and immune reaction.
Glycobiology, on the opposite hand, is a broader field that encompasses the study of all aspects of carbohydrates in biology, including their structures, biosynthesis, and functions. It also involves the study of the enzymes and other proteins involved in carbohydrate metabolism, also their roles in disease and other pathological conditions.
Both glycomics and glycobiology are important areas of research, as carbohydrates play critical roles in many biological processes, and their dysfunction can contribute to a good range of diseases, including cancer, diabetes, and neurodegenerative disorders.
Glycomics & Glycobiology Market
The Glycomics and Glycobiology markets have seen significant growth in recent years thanks to the increasing understanding of the role that carbohydrates play in various biological processes and disease states. The worldwide Glycomics and Glycobiology market size was valued at approximately $4.9 billion in 2022 and is predicted to grow at a CAGR of around 14.3% from 2023 to 2032, reaching approximately $19.0 billion by 2032.
The global glycobiology market is predicted to grow at a CAGR of 14.3% from 2023 to 2032, while the worldwide glycomics market is predicted to grow at a CAGR of 14.4% during an equivalent period (2023-2032). This growth is driven by the increasing research and development activities within the fields of glycobiology and glycomics, rising demand for personalized medicine, and increasing government funding for research in these fields.
North America held the biggest piece of the pie in 2020, because of the presence of countless central participants and the accessibility of government subsidizing for research in the field of Glycomics and Glycobiology. Due to the growing R&D investments made by biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies in the Asia Pacific region, the region is anticipated to experience the highest growth rate over the forecast period.
The marketplace for glycobiology and glycomics is very fragmented, with several companies and academic institutions involved in research and development activities. a number of the key players in this market include Thermo Fisher Scientific, Merck KGaA, Agilent Technologies, Waters Corporation, Shimadzu Corporation, and New England Biolabs.
Glycomics & Glycobiology Market Key Drivers:
Several key drivers are contributing to the growth of the Glycomics and Glycobiology market, including:
- Growing specialization in personalized medicine: Glycomics and Glycobiology are playing a crucial role in the development of personalized medicine, as they supply valuable information on the glycosylation patterns of proteins and other biomolecules.
- Growing partnerships and collaborations: Companies and researchers are forming partnerships and collaborations to advance the sector and convey new products to plug faster, driving growth within the market.
- Increasing government funding: There's increasing government funding being made available for research within the field of Glycomics and Glycobiology, particularly in North America and Europe which helps to accelerate research and development activities within the field.
- Increasing prevalence of chronic diseases: The increasing prevalence of chronic diseases like cancer, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases, which are related to aberrant glycosylation patterns, is driving the expansion of the Glycomics and Glycobiology market.
- Increasing understanding of the role of glycans in disease: The growing understanding of the role of glycans within the development and progression of diseases like cancer and diabetes is driving research and development within the field, resulting in the event of the latest diagnostic and therapeutic options.
- Rising R&D investment: There is a significant amount of R&D investment being made in the fields of Glycomics and Glycobiology, particularly by pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies which are resulting in the event of the latest products and technologies.
- Technological advancements: There are significant advancements within the technology used for the analysis of glycans and glycoproteins, including mass spectrometry, chromatography, and glycan microarrays. These technological advancements are enabling researchers to realize a far better understanding of glycosylation patterns and their role in disease.
Glycomics & Glycobiology Market Key Trend & Development:
Some of the key trends and developments in the Glycomics and Glycobiology market include:
- Development of glycan microarrays: Glycan microarrays are getting increasingly popular for the high-throughput analysis of glycans and their interactions with proteins and other molecules. This trend is driving the expansion of the glycan microarrays segment of the market.
- The emergence of AI and machine learning: AI and ML are increasingly getting used to research and predict the structure and performance of glycans, and thus it's expected that it'll have a positive impact on market growth.
- The emergence of the latest players: There's an increasing number of latest players entering the Glycomics and Glycobiology market, particularly within the Asia Pacific, which is driving competition and innovation within the field.
- Growing specialization in cancer research: The role of glycans in cancer development and progression may be a major area of research, resulting in the event of the latest cancer therapies targeting glycans.
- The growing interest in glycoengineering: There's growing curiosity about the sector of glycoengineering, which involves the modification of glycans for various applications, including the event of glycosylation-based therapeutics.
- Increasing adoption of mass spectrometry: Mass spectrometry is increasingly being adopted for the analysis of glycans and glycoproteins, thanks to its high sensitivity, specificity, and accuracy.
- Increasing use of Glycomics and Glycobiology in clinical trials: There's an increasing trend towards the utilization of Glycomics and Glycobiology in clinical trials, particularly within the development of glycosylation-based therapeutics. This trend is driving the expansion of the clinical trials segment of the market.
- Integration of Glycomics and Glycobiology with other omics technologies: there's an increasing trend towards the mixing of Glycomics and Glycobiology with other omics technologies, like genomics, transcriptomics, and proteomics, to realize a more comprehensive understanding of disease mechanisms.
Glycomics & Glycobiology Market Segmentation:
The Glycomics and Glycobiology market can be segmented based on several factors, including:
- Product type: Enzymes, Instruments, Kits, Reagents
- Application: Diagnostics, Drug Discovery & Development, Research
- End-user: Academic & Research Institutes, Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies
- Technology: Mass Spectrometry, Chromatography, Glycan Microarrays
- Disease indication: Cancer, Diabetes, Cardiovascular Diseases
- Biomolecule type: Proteins, Lipids, Carbohydrates
- Service: Analytical Services, Customized Services
- Geography: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa
Glycomics & Glycobiology Market Regional Synopsis:
The North American market for Glycomics and Glycobiology is the largest in the world, with a market size of around $2.2 billion in 2022. The market is expected to grow at a CAGR of around 14.0% during the forecast period (2023-2032) to reach a worth of $8.2 billion by 2032 driven by the presence of leading pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, increasing research funding, and the high prevalence of chronic diseases in the region.
The European market for Glycomics and Glycobiology is the second-largest in the world, with a market size of around $1.5 billion in 2022. The market is expected to grow at a CAGR of around 12.0% during the forecast period (2023-2032) to reach a worth of $4.6 billion by 2032 driven by the increasing government funding for research, increasing R&D activities, and rising prevalence of chronic diseases in the region.
The Asia Pacific Glycomics and Glycobiology market are the fastest-growing in the world, with a CAGR of around 15.0% during the forecast period (2023-2032). The market size is expected to reach around $4.5 billion by 2032 against an earlier estimation of $1.1 billion in 2022 driven by the increasing investment in R&D activities, the growing focus on personalized medicine, and the increasing prevalence of chronic diseases in the region.
The Latin American market for Glycomics and Glycobiology is expected to grow at a CAGR of around 11.0% during the forecast period (2023-2032). The market size is expected to reach around $759.3 million by 2032 against an earlier estimation of $267.4 million in 2022 driven by the increasing government initiatives to support research and development in the field, increasing investment in healthcare, and the rising prevalence of chronic diseases in the region.
The Middle East and Africa market for Glycomics and Glycobiology is expected to grow at a CAGR of around 9.0% during the forecast period (2023-2032). The market size is expected to reach around $565.0 million by 2032 against an earlier estimation of $238.5 million in 2022 driven by the increasing investment in healthcare, rising awareness about personalized medicine, and the increasing prevalence of chronic diseases in the region.
Glycomics & Glycobiology Market Key Challenges:
Despite the significant growth prospects, the Glycomics and Glycobiology market faces several challenges that could impede its growth. Some of the key challenges include:
- The complexity of glycans: The complexity of glycans and therefore the lack of understanding of their structure and performance presents a big challenge within the field, making it difficult to develop effective diagnostic and therapeutic options.
- High cost of instruments and reagents: Glycomics and Glycobiology research require specialized instruments and reagents, which may be expensive. This makes it difficult for little and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to enter the market, as they'll not have the financial resources to take a position in these instruments and reagents.
- Lack of awareness: Despite the many advances in glycomics and glycobiology research, there's still a scarcity of awareness about these fields among healthcare professionals and therefore the general public which may limit the demand for brand-spanking new therapies supported by glycomics and glycobiology research.
- Lack of standardization: Glycomics and Glycobiology research involves complex procedures, and the lack of standardization within these procedures can cause variability in the results which may make it challenging to match results from different studies, hindering the event of the latest therapies.
- Limited availability of raw materials: There's limited availability of raw materials, like glycans, to be used in the development of diagnostic and therapeutic products. This will cause supply chain issues, also as increased costs for manufacturers.
- Limited availability of skilled professionals: Glycomics and Glycobiology research requires skilled professionals expertly in glycan analysis, bioinformatics, and other specialized fields unavailability which may hamper the research and development process affecting the availability chain.
- Limited commercial applications: Despite the potential of glycans as diagnostic and therapeutic targets, the number of economic applications is currently limited resulting in issues with demand for products supported by glycans.
- Regulatory challenges: The regulatory challenges for the event of the latest glycomics and glycobiology-based products and therefore the time-consuming and dear process of getting the products approved by regulatory agencies can affect the availability chain because it can delay the discharge of the latest products.
Glycomics & Glycobiology Market Key Global Players:
The Glycomics and Glycobiology market has several key players that are driving innovation and growth within the industry. These companies are engaged in developing new technologies and products within the field of glycomics and glycobiology.
Some of the key global players in the market include:
- Agilent Technologies, Inc.
- Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc.
- Bruker Corporation
- Danaher Corporation
- Merck KGaA
- New England Biolabs
- PerkinElmer Inc.
- S-BIO (Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd.)
- Shimadzu Corporation
- Takara Bio Inc.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- Waters Corporation
They are also actively involved in collaborations and partnerships with academic and research institutions to advance the sector. Additionally, these players have a robust global presence, with attention on expanding their market presence in emerging markets like Asia-Pacific and Latin America.
Custom Research Requirement? Questions to ask?Get in touch
Custom Research requirement.