Extended Reality Market: Global Size, Share, Trends, Growth and Forecast 2022-2032
ICTRequest PDF Sample Request Discount
- Status : Published
- Published on: March 2023
- Report ID: KDMI-7192
- Available Format: PDF/Excel/DOC
Pandemic disrupted the entire world and affected many industries.
Get detailed COVID-19 impact analysis on the Extended Reality MarketRequest PDF Sample
Extended Reality Insights
Extended reality (XR) is an umbrella term used to describe technologies that blend the physical and virtual worlds to make a replacement environment where physical and digital objects can coexist and interact in real time. It encompasses technologies like virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), mixed reality (MR), and other related technologies.
Virtual reality (VR) immerses the user in a completely digital environment, typically employing a headset with screens that display computer-generated images. Augmented reality (AR) overlays digital content on top of the important world by employing a camera-equipped device, like a smartphone or smart glasses. Mixed reality (MR) combines elements of both VR and AR to make a replacement environment where digital objects can interact with physical objects in real time.
Extended reality is getting used in various fields like gaming, education, healthcare, tourism, and manufacturing. XR has the potential to revolutionize the way we interact with technology and the world around us.
Extended Reality Market Size
The global extended reality (XR) market size was valued at $55.6 billion in 2022 and is projected to succeed in $3.9 trillion by 2032, at a CAGR of 25.0% during the forecast period (2023-2032). Virtual reality (VR) held the most important market share in 2022 and is predicted to continue its dominance. Augmented reality (AR) is predicted to witness significant growth thanks to its increasing applications in industries like healthcare, education, and retail whereas mixed reality (MR) is additionally expected to witness substantial growth during the forecast period thanks to its potential applications in gaming, healthcare, and engineering.
The Asia Pacific region is predicted to witness the very best growth thanks to the increasing adoption of XR technologies in countries like China, Japan, India, and South Korea. North America and Europe are expected to carry significant market shares thanks to the presence of major players and therefore the increasing adoption of XR technologies in various industries in these regions.
Extended Reality Market Key Drivers
The extended reality (XR) market is being driven by several key factors, including:
- Advancements in hardware & software technology: Hardware devices such as VR headsets, AR glasses, and handheld devices are getting more powerful, lightweight, and affordable, making them more accessible to consumers and businesses alike with advanced powerful software.
- Convergence of XR technologies: XR technologies are converging, with VR, AR, and MR getting used together to make more immersive and interactive experiences which are expanding the chances for XR applications and driving demand for brand-spanking new and innovative hardware and software solutions.
- Government support and funding: Many governments around the world are investing in XR technologies, recognizing the potential benefits in terms of economic processes and job creation.
- Growing applications in various industries: XR technologies are being adopted in various industries, including healthcare, education, retail, advertising, and industrial training which has expanded the marketplace for XR technologies beyond just gaming and entertainment.
- Increasing demand for AR and VR in gaming and show business: AR and VR technologies are increasingly getting used within the gaming and entertainment industry, creating new revenue streams and enhancing the user experience.
- Increasing demand for immersive experiences: Consumers are increasingly seeking out immersive experiences, whether it's in gaming, entertainment, education, or training. XR technologies like VR and AR can provide these experiences by transporting users to new worlds or enhancing their perception of the important world.
- Increasing investment in XR technologies: The XR market is attracting significant investment from venture capitalists and other investors, driving innovation and growth within the industry.
- Shift towards remote work and collaboration: The COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated the adoption of remote work and collaboration tools, which has increased the demand for XR technologies that will facilitate virtual meetings, training, and collaboration.
Extended Reality Market Key Trend & Development
The extended reality (XR) market is witnessing several key trends and developments, including:
- Apple's AR initiatives: Apple has made several recent announcements regarding its AR initiatives, including the discharge of the ARKit 4 software development kit and plans to release an AR headset in 2022.
- COVID-19 accelerates adoption: The COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated the adoption of XR technologies, particularly within the areas of remote work, collaboration, and virtual events. This has driven demand for XR solutions which will facilitate virtual meetings, training, and collaboration.
- Facebook's rebranding to Meta: Facebook recently announced that it's rebranding to Meta, reflecting the company's increased specialization in virtual and augmented reality which has generated significant attention and speculation about the company's future plans within the XR space.
- Focus on accessibility: There's a growing specialization in making XR technologies more accessible to a wider range of users, including those with disabilities. This includes the event of XR technologies which will be used with assistive devices like haptic gloves.
- Google's Project Starline: Google recently announced its Project Starline initiative, which uses a mixture of high-resolution displays, depth sensors, and machine learning to make the illusion of being in the same room because of the other person.
- Growing demand for standalone VR headsets: Standalone VR headsets that don't require a PC or console is getting increasingly popular, as they provide greater convenience and mobility.
- Increasing use of AI and machine learning: AI and machine learning are getting used to reinforce XR experiences, enabling more realistic and responsive interactions with virtual objects and environments.
- Integration with 5G technology: The mixing of XR technologies with 5G networks is enabling faster and more reliable communication, resulting in more immersive and responsive XR experiences.
- Shift towards enterprise applications: Industries like healthcare, education, retail, and manufacturing are increasingly adopting XR technologies to reinforce their operations and improve customer experiences.
- Use of XR for remote collaboration and telepresence: XR technologies are getting used to enable remote collaboration and telepresence, allowing users to figure together in virtual environments from different locations.
Extended Reality Market Segmentation
The extended reality (XR) market can be segmented into various categories including:
- By Technology
- Virtual Reality (VR)
- Augmented Reality (AR)
- Mixed Reality (MR)
- By Component
- Hardware (Sensors, Displays, Cameras, Processors, etc.)
- By Application
- Gaming & Entertainment
- Retail & e-Commerce
- Manufacturing & Industrial
- Aerospace & Defense
- Others (Automotive, Construction, etc.)
- By Region
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
Extended Reality Market Regional Synopsis
North America held the largest market share in 2022 due to the presence of major XR technology players and the increasing adoption of XR technologies in various industries. The market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 25.1% from 2023 to 2032 against an earlier estimate of $17.7 billion in 2022 to reach a worth of $166.2 billion by 2032.
Europe is expected to hold a significant market share during the forecast period (2023-2032) due to the presence of major XR technology players and the increasing adoption of XR technologies in various industries. The market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 24.6% from 2023 to 2032 against an earlier estimate of $15.4 billion in 2022 to reach a worth of $139.0 billion by 2032.
Asia Pacific is expected to witness the highest growth during the forecast period (2023-2032) due to the increasing adoption of XR technologies in countries such as China, Japan, India, and South Korea. The market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 24.8% from 2023 to 2032 against an earlier estimate of $14.0 billion in 2022 to reach a worth of $138.3 billion by 2032.
Latin America is expected to witness significant growth during the forecast period due to the increasing adoption of XR technologies in various industries such as gaming, healthcare, and education. The market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 25.4% from 2023 to 2032 against an earlier estimate of $4.3 billion in 2022 to reach a worth of $41.4 billion by 2032.
Middle East and Africa are expected to witness significant growth due to the increasing adoption of XR technologies in various industries such as healthcare and education. The market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 24.8% from 2023 to 2032 against an earlier estimate of $2.1 billion in 2022 to reach a worth of $21.0 billion by 2032.
Extended Reality Market: Report Scope
Base Year Market Size
Forecast Year Market Size
Japan Extended Reality Market Regional Synopsis
Japan is predicted to carry a big market share within the Asia Pacific region during the forecast period (2023-2032) due to the increasing adoption of XR technologies in various industries like healthcare, manufacturing, and entertainment. Japan may be a major player in the development of XR technologies, with several leading companies investing in the development of VR, AR, and MR technologies. the Japanese government has also been supportive of the XR industry, providing funding and incentives for XR technology development and adoption.
The market is predicted to grow at a CAGR of 25.6% from 2023 to 2032 against an earlier estimate of $1.7 billion in 2022 to succeed in a worth of $17.0 billion by 2032. The healthcare sector in Japan is one of the key industries driving the adoption of XR technologies, with the event of VR and AR applications for medical training, surgery, and rehabilitation. The manufacturing sector is additionally adopting XR technologies for virtual design and prototyping, and therefore the entertainment sector is adopting XR technologies for gaming and immersive experiences.
Extended Reality Market Key Challenges
The extended reality (XR) market, which includes virtual reality, augmented reality, and mixed reality, has been growing rapidly in recent years. However, there are several key challenges that the industry faces including:
- Content creation: Developing XR content requires specialized skills and expertise that aren't yet widely available. Additionally, creating high-quality XR content is often time-consuming and expensive.
- Hardware limitations: High-quality headsets and other equipment are often expensive, which limits the market's accessibility. Additionally, current hardware technology is often heavy, bulky, and uncomfortable to wear for extended periods of your time.
- Lack of standards: The XR market lacks consistent standards for hardware and software, which may make it difficult for developers to make content that's compatible with multiple devices and platforms.
- Privacy and security concerns: XR technologies can collect large amounts of private data, raising concerns about privacy and security which may limit the adoption of XR technologies by consumers who are concerned about the protection of their personal information.
- Regulatory challenges: XR technologies are subject to varied regulatory challenges, including property rights, safety standards, and licensing requirements which may hamper innovation and limit the expansion of the XR market.
- Technical limitations: XR technologies are still subject to technical limitations like low resolution, limited field of view, and kinetosis. These limitations can reduce the standard of the user experience and limit the adoption of XR technologies.
- User experience: Ensuring a positive user experience is crucial to the success of the XR market. XR experiences must be immersive and interesting, but they need to even be comfortable and safe for users.
Extended Reality Market Key Global Players
The extended reality (XR) market is highly competitive, with numerous key players competing in the space. Some of the leading players in the XR market with their key products include:
- Salesforce.com, Inc.
- SAP SE
- Sisense Inc.
- TIBCO Software Inc.
- Amazon Web Services, Inc.
- International Business Machines Corporation
- Micron Technology, Inc.
- Microsoft Corporation
- QlikTech International AB
These companies are involved in the development of XR hardware and software components, as well as the creation of XR applications and content. In addition to these established players, the XR market also includes numerous startups and smaller companies that are working on innovative new technologies and applications.
Custom Research Requirement? Questions to ask?Get in touch
Custom Research requirement.