Esophageal Cancer Treatment Market : Global Size, Share, Trends, Growth and Forecast Year ( 2022 – 2032 )
Life ScienceRequest PDF Sample Request Discount
- Status : Published
- Published on: Feb 2023
- Report ID: KDMI-7124
- Available Format: PDF/Excel/DOC
Pandemic disrupted the entire world and affected many industries.
Get detailed COVID-19 impact analysis on the Esophageal Cancer Treatment MarketRequest PDF Sample
Esophageal Cancer Treatment Market Insights:
Cancer of the esophagus, the long muscular tube that connects the mouth to the stomach, is named esophageal cancer. It is a disease with a minimal survival rate and is usually difficult to treat. Epithelial cell carcinoma and adenocarcinoma are two sorts of esophageal cancer, named after the type of cells in which they arise. Smoking, alcohol consumption, exposure to chemicals, and conditions like Barrett's esophagus and achalasia are risk factors for esophageal cancer. Esophageal cancer can cause pain, weight loss, and difficulty swallowing.
A combination of imaging tests like CT scans, PET scans, endoscopy, and tumor biopsy samples are performed to diagnose esophageal cancer. Esophageal cancer is generally treated with surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, targeted therapy, or both. The treatment selection is influenced and governed by the patient's general health and the stage of cancer. Patients with advanced esophageal cancer receive palliative care to enhance their quality of life which include help with nutrition, emotional support, and pain management.
Esophageal Cancer Treatment Market Latest Trends
Some progress has been made recently in the treatment of esophageal cancer. There is a tendency to use drugs that specifically target specific proteins or pathways involved in cancer growth. Targeted therapy can be used alone or in combination with other treatments, such as chemotherapy. Immunotherapy is a treatment that makes it easier for the body's immune system to recognize and attack esophageal cancer cells.
In addition, the use of minimally invasive procedures, such as laparoscopic surgery, in the treatment of esophageal cancer is increasing. Small incisions are made in the body and specialized instruments are used for this procedure. This may be associated with a shorter hospital stay and faster recovery than traditional surgery. Finally, new treatments for esophageal cancer, such as gene therapy, are the subject of ongoing research. Using genetic material, such as DNA or RNA, to change the way cells in the bodywork is called gene therapy. This is an ongoing topic of research that may hold promise for future treatments for esophageal cancer.
Esophageal Cancer Treatment Market Share
The global esophageal cancer treatment market is predicted to grow at a CAGR of roughly 8% from 2021 to 2028 whose market volume in 2020 was estimated at 1.13 billion US dollars. Esophageal cancer is often treated with a spread of pharmacological and medical devices, including surgery, radiotherapy, and chemotherapy. Newly developed immunotherapies and targeted drugs may play a greater role in future treatment options. Esophageal cancer is difficult to treat because the advanced disease features a poor prognosis, no early detection methods, and limited treatment options.
Esophageal Cancer Treatment Market Key Drivers:
Several factors are driving the growth of the esophageal cancer treatment market:
- Increasing incidence of esophageal cancer: Esophageal cancer treatment is in high demand as the incidence of the disease is increasing worldwide due to increased risk factors such as smoking and alcohol consumption.
- Advances in treatment options: New immunotherapies and targeted therapies are being developed to treat esophageal cancer, which is expanding the market. Esophageal cancer patients should have a better chance of survival thanks to the encouraging results of these treatments in clinical trials.
- Increasing adoption of surgical treatments: The market is expected to grow due to the widespread use of surgical treatments for esophageal cancer.
- Growing geriatric population: The number of elderly people is increasing worldwide, and are more likely to develop esophageal cancer.
- Increase in healthcare expenditure: Rising healthcare costs, both public and private, are driving investment in research and development of new treatments for esophageal cancer expanding the market.
- Increase in awareness: The market expansion is expected to be fueled by the emergence of new treatments and increasing awareness of esophageal cancer. Increasing public awareness of the disease and the availability of effective treatment is increasing the demand for esophageal cancer treatments.
- Increase in R&D investments: Increased R&D investment by pharmaceutical and biotech companies is expected to boost the esophageal cancer treatment market.
- Technological advancements: Esophageal cancer is now easier to detect and treat thanks to technological advances such as endoscopy and laparoscopy. This has increased the demand for these treatments.
Esophageal Cancer Market Segmentation:
The global market for esophageal cancer treatments can be segmented in many ways, such as:
- Type of esophageal cancer: Based on the type of cells affected: Squamous cell carcinoma and Adenocarcinoma.
- Stage of cancer: Stage 1 cancer – localized, Stage 2 cancer - spread to nearby lymph nodes but not to other organs, Stage 3 cancer - spread to nearby organs, Stage 4 cancer - spread to distant organs
- Type of treatment: Surgery, Chemotherapy, Radiation therapy, Targeted therapy
- Based on geography: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East, and Africa
- Based on risk factors: Smoking, Heavy alcohol consumption, Obesity, Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
Esophageal Cancer Market Regional Synopsis
An estimated 456,000 new cases of esophageal cancer are diagnosed worldwide annually, making it a worldwide health issue. The disease is more common in certain geographic areas, with the very best rates in East Asia and parts of Eastern Europe.
Thanks to the prevalence of esophageal cancer and therefore the availability of cutting-edge medical infrastructure, the USA is anticipated to carry the most important share of the North American market. Europe is predicted to be the second-largest marketplace for the treatment of esophageal cancer, with the UK, Germany, and France accounting for the most important market shares.
The supply of recent treatment options, the increasing geriatric population, and therefore the increasing incidence of esophageal cancer are the factors driving the market expansion in Europe. Asia Pacific is predicted to be the fastest-growing marketplace for esophageal cancer thanks to the rising prevalence of esophageal cancer in countries like China, Japan, and India. Due to rising healthcare costs, and therefore the availability of cost-effective treatment options in the region. The esophageal cancer treatment market in Latin America, the Middle East, and Africa is predicted to witness moderate growth thanks to the increasing incidence of esophageal cancer and improving healthcare infrastructure within the region. However, a scarcity of public awareness about the disease and its treatment options, also as limited access to advanced treatment options, may hamper market expansion in these regions.
Esophageal Cancer Market Challenges:
There are several challenges facing the Esophageal Cancer Market.
- Adverse effects and limited efficacy of treatment: Serious side effects of esophageal cancer treatment, like nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and hair loss, can interfere with treatment. Limited efficacy within the treatment of esophageal cancer, especially in advanced stages, maybe a major market barrier.
- High cost of treatment: Esophageal cancer treatment is very costly, and lots of patients might not have access to quality health care or insurance, especially with new targeted agents and immunotherapies which are more efficient.
- Lack of awareness: The very fact that folks, especially in developing countries, aren't conscious of esophageal cancer and its symptoms may be a major hindrance to the market.
- Lack of early detection methods: There's currently a scarcity of excellent early diagnostic tools for esophageal cancer, which limits the effectiveness of obtainable treatment options. Therefore, it is often difficult to detect the disease in its early stages, when it's easier to treat.
- Limited access to healthcare: Treatment options for esophageal cancer are few as healthcare may be a major problem in many parts of the planet, especially in low-income countries.
- Limited treatment options: The market faces a significant hurdle with limited treatment options for esophageal cancer, especially in advanced stages with significant side effects. Esophageal cancer cells have the potential to develop resistance to chemotherapy, making treatment less effective.
- Stringent regulatory environment: Stringent regulatory rules for approval of new esophageal cancer treatments are a major hurdle in the market.
Esophageal Cancer Market Key Players
Some of the key players in the market include:
- Astellas Pharma Inc.: Tarceva (erlotinib), which is approved for the treatment of advanced non-small cell carcinoma and advanced carcinoma, is one among the medications developed and sold by Astellas Pharma, a Japanese drug company.
- AstraZeneca: AstraZeneca is an Anglo-Swedish drug company that develops and markets targeted treatments for esophageal cancer, including the drug IMM-101.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb: Bristol-Myers Squibb's oncology portfolio includes esophageal cancer treatments like nivolumab, which is approved for advance stage use.
- Chugai Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.: Herceptin (trastuzumab), which is approved for the treatment of HER2-positive advanced or metastatic gastric or gastroesophageal junction adenocarcinoma, is a component of Chugai's oncology portfolio.
- Eli Lilly and Company: Cyramza (ramucirumab), developed by Eli Lilly, is now approved for treating advanced gastric and gastroesophageal junction adenocarcinoma.
- Johnson & Johnson: The multinational pharmaceutical and medical device company Johnson & Johnson develops and markets a variety of products for the treatment of esophageal cancer, including surgical instruments and chemotherapy drugs.
- Kyowa Kirin Co., Ltd.: Campto (irinotecan hydrochloride), developed by Kyowa Kirin, is approved for the treatment of colorectal and lung carcinoma.
- Merck & Co.: Keytruda (pembrolizumab), approved for the treatment of advanced esophageal cancer, treatment in Merck's esophageal cancer oncology portfolio.
- Novartis: Swiss multinational drug company Novartis creates and sells a spread of cancer treatments, including chemotherapy drugs and targeted therapies for esophageal cancer treatment.
- Pfizer: Pfizer is a multinational drug company that develops and markets various cancer treatments, like chemotherapy drugs and targeted drugs for the treatment of esophageal cancer..
- Roche: Roche is a Swiss multinational drug company that develops and markets a variety of cancer treatments, including chemotherapy drugs for the treatment of esophageal cancer
- Sanofi S.A.: Treatments for esophageal cancer are included in Sanofi's oncology portfolio, including Taxotere (docetaxel), which has been approved for the treatment of advanced esophageal cancer.
- Taiho Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.: A Japanese drug company that makes and sells treatments for advanced esophageal cancer, like TS-1 (tegafur, gimeracil, and oteracil potassium).
Custom Research Requirement? Questions to ask?Get in touch
Custom Research requirement.