Adhesion Barriers Market : Global Share, Size, Growth, Trends & Outlook ( 2022 – 2032 )
Life ScienceRequest PDF Sample Request Discount
- Status : Published
- Published on: Feb 2023
- Report ID: KDMI-7140
- Available Format: PDF/Excel/DOC
Pandemic disrupted the entire world and affected many industries.
Get detailed COVID-19 impact analysis on the Adhesion Barriers MarketRequest PDF Sample
Adhesion Barriers Insights:
Adhesion barriers are medical devices used to prevent the formation of adhesions during surgery. Adhesions are fibrous bands of connective tissue that will form between organs or tissues after surgery or injury, causing pain, bowel obstruction, infertility, and other complications. Adhesion barriers work by creating a physical barrier between the tissues, preventing them from sticking together.
Adhesion barriers offer several advantages, like reducing the danger of adhesion-related complications, decreasing the necessity for reoperation, and improving patient outcomes. they're also generally safe and well-tolerated by patients. Various sorts of adhesion barriers are available on the market, including films, gels, and sprays. These products are typically made from biocompatible materials like mucopolysaccharide, carboxymethylcellulose, and polyethylene glycol. Adhesion barriers are often utilized in a good range of surgical procedures, including abdominal surgery, gynecological surgery, and orthopedic surgery.
Adhesion Barriers Market Size :
The worldwide adhesion barriers market size was valued at $617 million in 2020 and is predicted to grow at a compound annual rate of growth (CAGR) of roughly 7.4% from 2022 to 2032. The market size is projected to achieve $1.4 Billion by 2032.
Adhesion Barriers Market
The global adhesion barriers market is predicted to grow thanks to increasing demand for minimally invasive surgeries, the growing geriatric population, and increasing awareness about the utilization of adhesion barriers.
The film segment-supported product type is predicted to carry the most important share of the market thanks to its simple use and widespread availability. North America is predicted to carry the most important share of the market thanks to factors like the high prevalence of chronic diseases, the presence of major market players, and therefore the well-established healthcare infrastructure. However, the Asia Pacific region is predicted to exhibit the very best CAGR during the forecast period thanks to the increasing adoption of minimally invasive surgeries and therefore the growing healthcare expenditure within the region.
Adhesion Barriers Market Key Drivers:
The global adhesion barriers market is driven by various factors that have contributed to its growth in recent years. Some of the key drivers of the adhesion barriers market are:
- Government support: The adoption of adhesion barriers has been increasing thanks to the support provided by the government in terms of reimbursement and regulations to scale back complications in surgeries.
- Growing demand for minimally invasive surgeries: Minimally invasive surgeries are getting increasingly popular, as they provide several benefits over traditional open surgeries, like reduced scarring, shorter hospital stays, and faster recovery times. Adhesion barriers are commonly utilized in minimally invasive surgeries like laparoscopic and robotic surgeries to scale back the danger of adhesion formation.
- Growing geriatric population: The aging population is more likely to undergo surgeries, which successively increases the demand for adhesion barriers.
- Increasing healthcare expenditure: As healthcare expenditure continues to extend worldwide, the demand for adhesion barriers is predicted to rise. this is often very true in emerging economies, where rising incomes and improving healthcare infrastructure are driving demand for advanced medical devices.
- Increasing number of surgical procedures: The worldwide population is aging, and there's an increasing incidence of chronic diseases, like cancer and disorder, which require surgical intervention. this is often driving the demand for adhesion barriers, as they're commonly utilized in surgical procedures to scale back the danger of adhesion formation.
- Rising awareness of adhesion-related complications: Adhesions can cause a variety of complications, like pain, bowel obstruction, and infertility. As awareness of those complications increases among healthcare providers and patients, the demand for adhesion barriers is predicted to rise.
- Technological advancements: The event of the latest and innovative adhesion barrier products, like bioresorbable barriers and combination products, is predicted to drive market growth. These products offer improved safety, efficacy, and convenience, and are expected to realize wider acceptance among healthcare providers and patients.
Adhesion Barriers Market Key Trends and Developments:
The adhesion barriers market has witnessed several key trends and developments in recent years. Some of the notable ones include:
- Development of novel adhesion barriers: There's ongoing research and development of novel adhesion barrier products, including bioresorbable and combination products. These products offer improved safety and efficacy compared to traditional barriers and are expected to realize wider acceptance among healthcare providers and patients.
- Increasing use in laparoscopic surgery: Adhesion barriers are getting increasingly popular in laparoscopic surgeries, where they're wont to reduce the danger of adhesion formation within the abdomen. The increasing adoption of laparoscopic surgery is predicted to drive market growth within the coming years.
- Growing demand from emerging economies: As healthcare infrastructure continues to enhance in emerging economies, the demand for advanced medical devices, including adhesion barriers, is predicted to rise. this is often very true in countries like China and India, where there's an outsized and growing population.
- Rising preference for synthetic barriers: Synthetic adhesion barriers are gaining popularity among healthcare providers thanks to their low cost and wide availability. Synthetic barriers are expected to still dominate the market within the coming years, although bioresorbable barriers are expected to realize market share over time.
- Increasing competition among market players: The adhesion barriers market is very competitive, with an outsized number of players operating within the market. Market players that specialize in developing innovative products and expanding their geographic reach to realize a competitive advantage.
Adhesion Barriers Market Segmentation:
The adhesion barriers market can be segmented based on the following factors:
- By product type: Synthetic Adhesion Barriers, Natural Adhesion Barriers, Composite Adhesion Barriers
- By application: Gynecological Surgeries, Abdominal Surgeries, Cardiovascular Surgeries, Orthopedic Surgeries, Neurological Surgeries, Urological Surgeries
- By formulation: Film-Based Adhesion Barriers, Gel-Based Adhesion Barriers, Liquid-Based Adhesion Barriers
- By end-user: Hospitals, Ambulatory Surgical Centers, Clinics
- By region: North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, Middle East & Africa
Adhesion Barriers Regional Synopsis:
The increasing prevalence of chronic diseases, a growing aging population, and rising healthcare expenditure are driving market growth in North America. The market in North America was valued at $549.6 million in 2019 and is predicted to grow at a CAGR of around 6.5% during the forecast period of 2020 to 2027. Europe is the second-largest regional marketplace for adhesion barriers, with a big share of the worldwide market. The market is driven by a growing aging population, increasing healthcare expenditure, and a rising prevalence of chronic diseases. It had been valued at $413.2 million in 2019 and is predicted to grow at a CAGR of around 6.2% during the forecast period of 2020 to 2027.
Asia-Pacific is the fastest-growing regional marketplace for adhesion barriers, with a high growth potential thanks to rising healthcare expenditure, increasing prevalence of chronic diseases, and a growing aging population. The Asia-Pacific market was valued at $242.3 million in 2019 and is predicted to grow at a CAGR of around 7.2% during the forecast period of 2020 to 2027.
Latin America may be a developing regional marketplace for adhesion barriers, with significant growth potential thanks to increasing healthcare expenditure and rising awareness of adhesion-related complications. The market in Latin America is predicted to grow at a CAGR of around 5.8% against an estimated value of $91.7 million in 2019. The Middle East and Africa region may be a small but growing marketplace for adhesion barriers, with significant growth potential thanks to rising healthcare expenditure and increasing awareness of adhesion-related complications. It had been valued at $55.2 million in 2019 and is predicted to grow at a CAGR of around 5.5% during the forecast period of 2020 to 2027.
Adhesion Barriers Market Key Challenges:
The adhesion barriers market faces several key challenges that could potentially impact market growth and profitability. Some of the key challenges include:
- Adhesion formation remains a challenge: Despite the widespread use of adhesion barriers, adhesion formation remains a standard complication in many surgical procedures. This will limit the efficacy of adhesion barriers and therefore the market potential for these products.
- High cost of adhesion barriers: Adhesion barriers are often expensive, which can limit their use in some healthcare settings.
- High cost of development and regulatory hurdles: Developing and commercializing adhesion barriers are often expensive, thanks to the high cost of research and development, clinical trials, and regulatory compliance. This will make it difficult for small and medium-sized companies to enter the market and compete with larger players.
- Lack of awareness among healthcare providers: Although awareness of adhesion-related complications is increasing, many healthcare providers are still not conversant in adhesion barriers and their benefits, limiting the adoption of those products in clinical practice.
- Limited efficacy: Adhesion barriers aren't always 100% effective in preventing adhesions, which may limit their use and impact the market growth.
- Limited product differentiation: Many adhesion barrier products on the market are similar in terms of their mechanism of action and clinical benefits, which limits product differentiation and makes it difficult for companies to realize market share.
- Limited reimbursement for adhesion barriers: One of the key challenges facing the adhesion barriers market is restricted reimbursement for these products, limiting access to adhesion barriers.
- Safety concerns: There are a couple of safety concerns related to the utilization of adhesion barriers, which have resulted during a few products recalls. this will cause a decrease in trust among surgeons and patients, which may be a challenge to the market growth.
- Stringent regulations: Adhesion barriers are subject to stringent regulations, which may be a barrier for brand-spanking new companies entering the market and for the event of the latest products.
Adhesion Barriers Market Global Key Players:
The global adhesion barriers market is highly competitive, with several key players operating in the market. Some of the major players in the market include:
- Anika Therapeutics Inc.: Anika Therapeutics is a US-based medical technology company that develops and produces therapeutic products for tissue repair and regeneration, including adhesion barriers. The company's adhesion barrier product is named Hyalobarrier, a hyaluronic acid-based gel used to prevent adhesion formation in various surgical procedures.
- Baxter International Inc.: Baxter International is a leading global healthcare company that produces a variety of medical devices, pharmaceuticals, and biotechnology products, including adhesion barriers like Tisseel, a fibrin sealant used to prevent adhesions in various surgical procedures. Its flagship product is Adcon-2 adhesion barrier.
- Covidien: Covidien is a leading provider of medical devices and supplies, and it offers a variety of adhesion barriers through its subsidiary, Medtronic. The company's adhesion barriers include its flagship product, Adcon-L.
- CryoLife: CryoLife is a publicly traded medical device and tissue processing company that gives a variety of adhesion barriers, including its flagship product, PerClot.
- Ethicon Inc.: Ethicon is a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson that produces a wide range of surgical products, including adhesion barriers. The company's adhesion barrier products include INTERCEED, an artificial absorbable adhesion barrier that's used to reduce the incidence of adhesions in various sorts of surgery.
- FzioMed Inc.: FzioMed is a US-based medical technology company that produces an adhesion barrier product called Oxiplex, a bioresorbable gel used to prevent adhesion formation in various sorts of surgery.
- Integra LifeSciences Corporation: Integra LifeSciences is a leading provider of adhesion barriers and other medical products. the corporate offers a variety of synthetic and biological adhesion barriers, including its proprietary Seprafilm product.
- Johnson & Johnson: Johnson & Johnson is one of the largest healthcare companies in the world, and it offers a variety of adhesion barriers through its subsidiary Ethicon. The company's adhesion barriers include its flagship product, Interceed.
- MAST Biosurgery: MAST Biosurgery is a private medical device company that focuses on the event and commercialization of adhesion barrier products, including its flagship product, AdhClear.
- Sanofi SA: Sanofi is a multinational drug company that produces a variety of prescribed drugs and medical devices, including adhesion barriers. The company's adhesion barrier product is named SurgiWrap and Hyalobarrier gel, a bioresorbable adhesion barrier used to prevent adhesion formation in various surgical procedures.
Custom Research Requirement? Questions to ask?Get in touch
Custom Research requirement.